background

Friday, July 24, 2009

I survived day one of the 24th Celebration.
Today is day two. My mom made a great breakfast and now we're just getting ready to go the parade in Manassa.
Yesterday we went to the parade in Sanford. It was pretty cute. We also went to the quilt show and had a nice lunch at my mother-in-law's house. I mostly took the rest of the day to sleep and relax and try to stay cool. It was really nice to have a day off work!!!
Michael and some of his family went to the Rodney Atkins concert last night. I didn't think it would be that fun so I didn't go. I think they had a good time, though.
There is so much planning and anticipation that goes into this one weekend. Cleaning house, getting ready for company, planning meals, planning activities, and trying to keep everyone entertained and happy. It's a lot to take in in just three or four days but I love it!
This weekend always reminds me of my ancestors and my pioneer heritage.
Last night I asked my dad about some of our ancestors and so he got his genealogy book. I love reading those! It's so cool to look at all the names and find connections with people. He also brought out my grandma's journal. I didn't get through a lot of it, but it was so cool to read her thoughts and know what it was like when she was alive and my dad and his siblings were younger. She died when I was 4 and I spent a lot of my life afraid of her because she had Parkinson's disease and I didn't understand why she would shake. I only have two memories of her and one was when my cousin and I were VERY small and we were telling her 'we want cake' and she was getting a cake out of the oven for us. She was a great baker and she loved her grand kids. And they loved her! I can't wait to get another chance to get more into her journal and read more about her and my grandpa.
Well it's off to the parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment